Highlights & Unique Facts
- “Oconee” is a Cherokee word meaning “land beside water.”
- Oconee County is located on the Interstate 85 corridor and is the closest South Carolina county to metro Atlanta, Georgia.
- If you enjoy the outdoors, National Geographic magazine named Oconee County’s Jocassee Gorges one of their ’50 of the World’s Destinations of a Lifetime.’
- Oconee County has the third lowest property tax in South Carolina.
- Oconee County is much like South Carolina as a whole, whereas the industrial power rates are 9% lower than the national average.
- Oconee County has three county-owned industrial parks that are “certified” by the South Carolina Department of Commerce and McCallum Sweeney Consulting.
- Oconee County is an ACT Certified Work Ready Community.
- Oconee County was ranked as the No. 1 top performing micropolitan in the U.S. in 2018 by Site Selection Magazine.
- South Carolina ranked 37th on a state business tax climate index for 2017, which measures how each state’s tax laws affect economic performance by comparing corporate, individual income, sales, unemployment insurance and property tax.
- South Carolina was ranked as the 12th-most business friendly state for corporate taxes for 2017.
- Seneca was ranked the best place to start a business in South Carolina by NerdWallet in 2015.
- Oconee County and the Oconee Economic Alliance has ushered in over $480 million in new taxable capital investment and nearly 1500 new jobs spread over 36 projects since 2012.