Highlights & Unique Facts
- Oconee County is the closest South Carolina county to metro Atlanta.
- National Geographic named Oconee County’s Jocassee Gorges one of their ’50 of the World’s Destinations of a Lifetime.’
- Oconee County has the third lowest property tax in South Carolina.
- Oconee County is on the I-85 corridor.
- Oconee County has three county-owned industrial parks that are “certified” by the South Carolina Department of Commerce and McCallum Sweeney Consulting.
- “Oconee” is a Cherokee word meaning “land beside water.”
- Oconee County is an ACT Certified Work Ready Community.
- Oconee County was ranked as the 27th top performing micropolitan in the U.S. in 2015 by Site Selection Magazine.
- South Carolina ranked 37th on a state business tax climate index for 2017, which measures how each state’s tax laws affect economic performance by comparing corporate, individual income, sales, unemployment insurance and property tax.
- South Carolina was ranked as the 12th-most business friendly state for corporate taxes for 2017.
- Seneca was ranked the best place to start a business in South Carolina by NerdWallet in 2015.